June 23, 2016 – New York, NY — AdTheorent, Inc., a technology company whose data-driven predictive solutions are transforming digital advertising, today announced summary findings of digital ad performance across its network, focusing on Entertainment advertiser clients, during Q1 of 2016. The Company analyzed user engagement across approximately 74.8 million impressions, seeking insights regarding characteristics of the most engaged audiences as well as other factors influencing digital ad engagement. Overall, AdTheorent-powered Entertainment campaigns outperformed the industry average1 by 187 percent.
Rich Media, Video and Ad Timing Key to Engagement for Entertainment Brands
AdTheorent’s rich media campaigns drove strong engagement across the Entertainment vertical (37% higher than industry average). Additionally, rich media outperformed mobile display by 12%. Across the rich media category, video drove not only the most actions, but accounted for 94% of all actions within rich media. From a video completion rate (VCR) perspective, the category performed extremely well across both desktop (81.8%) and mobile (85.41%).
Day of the Week, as Well as Time Play a Role in Engagement
Although AdTheorent’s overall average engagement rate outperformed the industry average by 187%, engagement rates did fluctuate significantly depending on the day of the week on which the ad was served, highlighting the most effective weekdays for Entertainment digital ad engagement. Additionally, time of day impacted engagement rates — regardless of the day of the week, afternoon and evening engagement rates were higher than midday, morning, or late night/early a.m. time slots.
A look at daily engagement rates (top performing to least performing):
- Wednesday: 20% above AdTheorent campaign average
- Thursday: 14% above AdTheorent campaign average
- Tuesday: 10% above AdTheorent campaign average
- Sunday: 9.6% above AdTheorent campaign average
- Saturday: 1.7% above AdTheorent campaign average average
- Friday: 4% below AdTheorent campaign average
- Monday: 12% below AdTheorent campaign average
Who is engaging?
AdTheorent’s machine learning technology platform uncovered the following key attributes among the most engaged consumer segments within the Entertainment vertical:
- Segment 1 (delivering 233% higher engagement)
- Couples with kids, 36-45, bilingual, homeowners, extremely tech savvy
- Segment 2 (delivering 198% higher engagement)
- Single parents, 36-45, living in metro area, athletes and fashion conscious
- Segment 3 (delivering 193% higher engagement)
- African American, 19-24, apartment dwellers, avid shoppers
In addition to these segments, performance data identified the following common attributes among those users who engaged with Entertainment ads:
- Interests: Gourmets, online shoppers, voters, sports (football, golf, basketball and baseball)
- Past Purchases: Cosmetics, cable internet service, auto purchase in last 12 months, energy/sports drinks
“It’s not surprising that we are seeing significant success with rich media and video for the Entertainment vertical, but it is interesting to note that among the millions of analyzed data points, day of week played a consistent role with engagement rates across the category,” said Jason Han, AdTheorent’s Senior Director of Data and Analytics. “We are excited about the digital advertising insights for the Entertainment category that we gleaned this quarter and are pleased to share with marketers to inform future initiatives.”
The Top Performers
- Users on cellular networks delivered a slightly higher (3%) engagement rate compared to users on Wi-Fi networks
- Mobile web sites outperformed mobile apps by 16%
- App Engagement:2
- Lifestyle entertainment apps delivered 572% higher engagement than fitness apps
- Family and educational game apps delivered 363% higher engagement than weather apps
- Social apps outperformed music apps by 148%
- Performance across Android and iOS was comparable, with Android delivering 16% higher engagement
- Users on smartphones outperformed users on tablets
- Top five devices:
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite
- Kindle Fire HD
- Samsung Galaxy Core Prime
- Samsung Galaxy S6
- Top five states
- Washington, DC
About the Data
AdTheorent’s technology platform analyzed more than 74.8 million Entertainment campaign impressions across its digital ad network during the period commencing January 1, 2016 and ending March 31, 2016. To view a summary infographic of AdTheorent’s findings, please visit: http://adtheorent.com/news/q1-digital-ad-performance-report-entertainment/
AdTheorent is a technology company that is transforming digital advertising through user identity mapping and data-driven predictive solutions. AdTheorent’s machine learning technology platform, Cross-Environment Map and Barometric® technologies help brands understand and connect with their audiences at scale.
AdTheorent’s machine learning technology platform, combines millions of data attributes into precise and accurate adaptive models for the purpose of identifying optimal audiences. Powered by data-driven intelligence, AdTheorent’s platform delivers the right ad, to the right user, at the right time – all in “real time” within brand advertisers’ ROAS and performance goals.
AdTheorent provides the most comprehensive cross-environment ID mapping infrastructure in market, which maps 550 million unique device IDs to more than 87 million US households, and appends those device IDs with extensive 1st, 2nd and 3rd party data sources. As a mobile-first Data Management Platform, AdTheorent is uniquely positioned to match offline and online data to mobile at scale, affect cross-device targeting and break new ground in media attribution including physical activity such as purchase.
AdTheorent’s Barometric measurement and analytics solution features the advertising industry’s most advanced cross-environment tracking and attribution solution, providing the “post-click and post view” signals necessary for modeling to (i.e., predicting) true user engagement and awareness.
The collective result to AdTheorent-partnered brands and marketers is higher engagement rates across any client-defined metric – The Intelligent Impression®. For more information, visit: www.adtheorent.com.
- DG MediaMind, “Mobile Benchmarks,” 18, 2013
- App categories defined by App Store data
# # #